Population of Albany 2020: (Capital of New York)

Albany as a city is the capital of the state of New York. This city in the past was mostly made up of immigrants from different countries like the Netherlands and Germany. Albany went through numerous changes in terms of the majority of the population. At times, it was the Dutch, and in a few years, the Irish were the largest in number in the city.

Population of Albany 2020

Between the 18th- 19th century, it was a transportation hub and now it is taking strides into the nanotechnology sector by experiencing heavy growth in the technology industry.

Population of Albany in 2020:

To find out the population of Albany in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:

  1. 2015 –98,469
  2. 2016 – 98,594
  3. 2017 – 98,729
  4. 2018 – 98,860
  5. 2019 – 98,900

While checking the population from 2015-19; it shows that the population of Albany has jumped up by 431 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 86.2. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 98,900 + 86.2 = 98,986.2. To conclude, the population of Albany in 2020 as per estimates = 98,986.2.

Demography of Albany:

In terms of racial numbers, 56% are White, 30% Black, 8% Asian, 1% Native American, and others comprise of the remainder.

Albany city has a median age of 31 years with a sex ratio of 53% females and 47% males. Almost 84% of people in the city speak in English, while the other 16% speak their native languages.

Population Density and Growth of Albany:

Albany has a population density of 1771 persons per square kilometer. The growth in terms of population hasn’t been great over recent years and several factors like people moving away from the city and crime rates have influenced people to move into another city. This has led to poor growth of the city and also the city from the same state in the form of New York is way ahead than Albany, which influences a lot of people due to its lifestyle.

It is expected that the population growth will improve in a few years from now.

Facts About Albany:

  1. The city of Albany with its long history and association with different colonies has had the share of having numerous names. The Dutch used to refer to this city as Beverwijck or beaver. The English named the city after the Duke of Albany in the year 1664.
  2. While transportation played a massive role in boosting the economy of the city during the 19th century, business and industry played a big part too. Due to its German and Dutch roots, Beer was one of the most imperative commodities of the city of Albany.
  3. The city was also popular for its publishing houses and currently, it still is well known for it. It was just next to the city of Boston in terms of books produced in the 19th century. This implies that the locals are fond of reading and are avid readers for sure.
  4. The climate over here can be on the extreme level with winters being really cold with fluctuating conditions. Temperatures can drop to almost – 18 degrees Celsius. Summers, on the other hand, can be hot but still not as extreme as winter with temperatures touching the 33 degree Celsius mark.
  5. Empire State Plaza is one important location in the city and many people flock around here to get a good view of it. Moreover, there are numerous parks around the city for people who love walking around these places.