Albuquerque is the largest as well as the most populated city in the state of New Mexico, the U.S. The city started as a colonial outpost for the Spanish and was founded in the year 1706. During its early years, it was more of a farming community and a sheep herding area.
The economy of the city is mostly dependent on science, cultural outlets, education, and even commerce. There is this festival of balloons, mostly known as International Balloons Fiesta. This takes place in October each year with the largest gathering of hot air balloons in the world.
Population of Albuquerque in 2020:
To find out the population of Albuquerque in 2020, the population figures for the previous 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –559,121
- 2016 – 561,776
- 2017 – 564,444
- 2018 – 567,112
- 2019 – 568,918.6
While checking the population from 2015-19; it shows that the population of Albuquerque has jumped up by 9797.6 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 1959.52. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 568,918.6 + 1959.52 = 570,878.12. To conclude, the population of Albuquerque in 2020 as per estimates = 570,878.12.
Demography of Albuquerque:
74% are White, 4% Black, 3% Asian, 5% Native American, and other races comprise of the remaining numbers.
Albuquerque has a median age of 36 years with a sex ratio of 51% females and 49% males. 70% or more people speak in English, while 25% speak Spanish in the city. The other remaining people speak their native languages.
Population Density and Growth of Albuquerque:
The city has a population density of 1100 persons per square kilometer. It has been growing at a very moderate pace with its population growth every year being around the 0.3-0.5% mark. Fewer people have certainly been visiting this city but also its current population is declining due to better work opportunities and a higher standard of living in other cities.
Somehow the average in terms of population growth is still on the positive side but it is low. It is expected that the population growth rate will improve in the coming years.
Facts About Albuquerque:
- The largest-ever lake in the city of Albuquerque is the Elephant Butte. It comprises about 240 miles of shoreline and offers activities like water skiing, fishing, boating, and other water sports for its locals.
- The city gets its water from deep underground water tables, which are recharged from the snow melting in the mountains and are about a mile deep.
- It is a popular city in terms of Christmas decorations are concerned. Most of the houses use traditional paper sacks and a layer of sand for the weight with a candle for lighting it up. During the time of Christmas, it is often called the city of little lights.
- The city is known to have the largest outdoor flea markets around the southwest. During the weekends, the State Fairgrounds changes into a place for shopping and fun. There are so many things on offer in these markets that it will take a lot of energy of yours to keep checking out all the things. A large number of crowds gather during Saturday and Sunday to enjoy and get a glimpse of what is on offer for them.
- The city is where the University of New Mexico is located. It was founded in the year 1889 and it is situated in the center of the city. A large number of students from all over the world study at this prestigious university.