Anchorage is the largest city in the state of Alaska and also it is a Home Rule Municipality in the United States. Anchorage started growing by the year 1914 when railroad headquarters were made and it resulted in growth. By the time from 1930-1950, it went through massive growth in all forms as air transportation industries and military grew in importance.
Wildlife in Anchorage is pretty diverse with various types of animals can be found here, also about 250 or more Black Bears and Grizzly Bears can be seen in Anchorage.
Moreover, the city has a lot of attractions for tourists and its locals.
Population of Anchorage in 2020:
To get the population of Anchorage in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years needs to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –298,695
- 2016 –298,192
- 2017 – 299,253
- 2018 – 300,323
- 5.2019 – 301,055.6
After going through the data figures from 2015-19; it can be noticed that the population of Anchorage grew by 2360.6 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population goes up by 472.12 people. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 301,055.6 + 472.12 = 301,527.72. As per the conclusion, the population of Anchorage in 2020 as per estimates = 301,527.72.
Demography of Anchorage:
The median age of the city is about 33 years and the sex ratio is 49% females and 51% males. In terms of language spoken, English is the most commonly used language in the city with about 83%. Other languages that are spoken alongside English in good numbers are different Asian languages.
Population Density and Growth of Anchorage:
The population density of the city of Anchorage is 65 persons per square kilometer. Population growth for the city has been on the steady side over the years but this is going to change as it is expected that Anchorage will be having its own highest population growth in the years to come. This will result in higher employment and also the cost of housing and office spaces.
Facts About Anchorage:
- The first person to have ever explored and described the city is Captain James Cook in the year 1778. After this, numerous numbers of people from the United States started coming over here and get to see the beauty of Anchorage.
- Winters can be extremely amazing in the city but did you know that on average the duration of days during the winter season is just about 5 and a half hours? Yes, you read it right.
- Skiing is one of the main activities in Anchorage. To be honest, the locals take Skiing seriously and they also have a Nordic Skiing association. With such beautiful scenic views and weather, who wouldn’t love going for some session of Skiing?
- The construction of the Alaska railroad started in the year 1905 and the area around the railroad headquarters quickly turned into a hub for workers and later became a bustling frontier area.
- Anchorage is not just about being the largest city of the state of Alaska but also almost 42% of the population of the state lives here. This is a whopping figure for a city with most of the people residing here and has resulted in growth in various forms.
Also, tourism has played a vital role in making Anchorage what it is today. Every year a large number of people from other parts of the country come over here to witness the majestic views of this place. To add it, petroleum is also another major contributor to its economy.