Austin as a city is the capital of the state of Texas in the United States. The pioneers came and settled in here by the 1830s. Many of the top companies in the world like PayPal, Google, IBM, and others have their headquarters based within the city of Austin.
WalletHub listed the city as the 6th most ideal place to live in the United States, and the population of here comprises government officials, college students, musicians, and also high-tech workers.
Population of Austin in 2020:
To find out the population of Austin in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –931,830
- 2016 – 960110
- 2017 – 988,384
- 2018 – 1,016,662
- 2019 – 1,037,436.2
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Austin has grown by 105,606.2 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 21,121.24. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 1,037,436.2 + 21,121.24 = 1,058,557.44. To conclude, the population of Austin in 2020 as per estimates = 1,058,557.44.
Demography of Austin:
75% of the people living here in the city of Austin are White, 7% Asian, 8% Black, 1% Native American, and other races comprise of the remaining numbers.
The median age over here is 32 years with a sex ratio of 49.5% of females and 50.5% males.
English is spoken by almost the whole population with a bit of exception in certain parts of the city where Spanish, German, and Polish are spoken too.
Population Density and Growth of Austin:
Austin has a population density of 1228 persons per square kilometer. By far it is the fastest-growing city in the country with a population growth of over 6% from the year 2011-16.
College Students retired individuals and middle-aged people making up the population and due to its prosperity, it is attracting a large number of people to the city.
Facts About Austin:
- The city comprises of the largest bat colony in the whole of North America. During the summertime, around 1.5 million bats migrate to the city and emerge from under the Congress Avenue Bridge each night.
- It is definitely on the hotter side when on average it receives 300 days of sunshine a year. Summers can be sweltering and you might need a bottle of mineral water with you while you’re out in the sun during the day time.
- One thing that unites all of the locals of the city is the Breakfast Tacos. It is a popular food item the people of Austin loves with its lip-smacking taste. In case you plan to visit Austin, you should try out the Breakfast Tacos by yourself for once.
- The Texas State Capitol Building is one of the major attractions of the city of Austin, but it is also the largest state capitol in all over the country. Wait; there is more to it as the state capitol building is made up of sunset red granite.
- Austin city has been inhabited by humans for a long time but it had a different name in its past. It was named Waterloo and was the actual name of the city. But, after a few years, it was decided to have a change in name from Waterloo to Austin. This was in honor of the Father of Texas, known as Stephen Austin.