Birmingham is a city located in the state of Alabama of the United States and it happens to be also the largest city in the state. The city was an imperative industrial center in the southern part of the United States. The main industries in the city were of steel production and iron. The economy of the city began to diversify by the other half of the 20th century, Banking, transportation, college education and other turned into major economic activities.
Birmingham focuses a lot on education and one of the reasons why you would see most of the population is highly literate and also numerous numbers of colleges and schools are placed here.
Like that of the Birmingham of England where a lot of Asian’s reside, the same can be said about the city of Birmingham of the USA with people especially from South Asia living here together and going on with their everyday lives.
Population of Birmingham in 2020:
To know the population of Birmingham in 2020, the population figures of the past 5 years needs to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –212,461
- 2016 –212,157
- 2017 –212,237
- 2018 – 212,315
- 5.2019 – 212,180.2
After viewing the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Birmingham got reduced by 280.8 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population gets reduced by 56.16 people. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 212,180.2 – 56.16 = 212,124.04. To conclude, the population of Birmingham in 2020 as per estimates = 212,124.04.
Demography of Birmingham:
If we break down the population as per age, one-quarter of it is below the age of 18. The largest age group is the 25-44 groups and it comprises about 35% of the overall population in the city. The city is quite diverse with numerous people from different religions live here and that is evident with Churches, Mosques, and Temples located within the city.
Population Density and Growth of Birmingham:
The population density of the city of Birmingham is 554 persons per square kilometer. Population growth for the city was on the positive side in its earliest years but in the recent past, the city has been suffering immensely from population loss in each census recorded.
One of the main reasons for the falling numbers is the high percentage of crime rates, which has resulted in people leaving the city for another one.
Facts About Birmingham:
- Birmingham city leads to urban green spaces. A huge number of lush sections of land for biking and hiking are close to downtown parks.
- The Eternal Word Television Network is headquartered in Birmingham and broadcasts from the city to a large number of viewers around the globe.
- During the year 1995, Mercedes Benz picked a site only west of the city to make its first assembly plant outside of Germany. Checking out the plant can be done by appointment.
- No compelling reason to head right to New York City to feel like you’re in the Big Apple. The reason for that is because there’s an imitation of the Statue of Liberty on the outskirts of Birmingham. It was initially commissioned by the founder of Liberty National Life Insurance Company in the year 1956 and stood there till the year of 1989.
- The city experienced two separate restrictions. Jefferson County restricted the clearance of liquor from the year 1908 to 1911, and a 1915 statewide law rendered the state thoroughly dry up till the year 1937.