Boston holds the title of being the largest city as well as the capital of Massachusetts. It is one of the oldest cities with it being founded in the year 1630.
Currently, the city is well known to be an international hub for higher education and medicine. Also, it was part of numerous events that took place during the American Revolution.
Boston is certainly up there with other cities in the country and it also has one of the highest costs of living in the country.
Population of Boston in 2020:
To get the actual population of Boston in 2020, the population figures for the previous 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –662,589
- 2016 – 673,184
- 2017 – 682,454
- 2018 – 691,729
- 2019 – 698, 898.8
After going through the data numbers from 2015-19; it is known that the population of Boston has gone up by 36,309.8 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 7261.96. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 698,898.8 + 7261.96 = 706,160.76. To conclude, the population of Boston in 2020 as per estimates = 706,160.76.
Demography of Boston:
Boston comprises about 53% White, 26% Black, 11% Asian, 1% Native American, and others make up the remainder of the population.
The median age in Boston is 32 years with a sex ratio of 52% females and 48% males. Since there are a large number of people staying in Boston from different countries in terms of higher education or work, numerous languages are spoken here. English is the dominant language with 65% speakers, while the rest speak their native languages.
Population Density and Growth of Boston:
Boston has a population density of 5538 persons per square kilometer. Population growth for the city was never a problem in the past and also currently it is experiencing good enough growth. Due to large immigration for higher studies and work purposes, the city each year has a healthy population growth. It is estimated that the population growth of Boston will go further up in the years to come.
Facts About Boston:
- Well, the name of the city is inspired by a town in England. The reason for this is because most of the settlers who came here many years back were originally from the town of Boston in England. Hence, there goes the reason for the name of the city.
- The oldest park in the United States is situated in the city of Boston in the form of Boston Common. It is a popular place in the city where locals and tourists come here to have a chill time.
- Very few people might know this but the first chocolate factory in the United States was none other than Boston city. So, you have a clue to know where the first batch of chocolates came from in the country.
- Before the Puritans came here during the year 1630, local tribes had the area under control and it was called as Shawmut Peninsula. The Europeans arrived here and things changed drastically with the control in the hands of the Europeans and it also bought many diseases that led to the eradication of numerous Native American Tribes.
- Since the city of Boston is one of the oldest in the United States, it has witnessed many firsts. The first-ever subway system in the U.S. started in the city in the year of 1897, and that is just one of the firsts out of many that the city has seen.