Bridgeport as a city is a seaport and happens to be the largest city of the state of Connecticut. In the past years, the residents of the city were mostly into farming as well as fishing for their livelihood. By the time the 18th century started, a large number of farmers started getting involved in trading and had a coastal trade with New York, Baltimore, and West Indies.
The city started to progress by the middle of the 19th century when the railroad got linked with New York.
There was also a time when World War 2 started and resulted in huge losses and many people started leaving the city.
Population of Bridgeport in 2020:
To know the population of Bridgeport in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –147,629
- 2016 – 148,315
- 2017 – 148,993
- 2018 – 149,673
- 2019 – 150,079.4
After checking the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Bridgeport went up by 2450.4 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population goes up by 490.08. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 150,079.4 + 490.08 = 150,569.48. To conclude, the population of Bridgeport in 2020 as per estimates = 150,569.48.
Demography of Bridgeport:
The demographics in terms of race are; 40% Whites, 33% Black, American Indian 20%, and others make up the rest of the numbers.
Bridgeport has a median age of 33 years with a sex ratio of 51% females and 49% males. In terms of language spoken, English is the primary language over here with a maximum number of speakers. The language that comes nearer to English in terms of speakers is Spanish, the second most spoken language in the city.
Population Density and Growth of Bridgeport:
Bridgeport has a population density of 3354 persons per square kilometer. The population growth of the city has been on the average side over the years and it also faced a population decline over the years. But, things are changing and it is expected the city might turn the tide and get in a 6% population growth by the year 2040.
Facts About Bridgeport:
- The English came here to Bridgeport by the time of the 17th century. The city was a part of Stratford but later was included as its town by the year 1821.
- When the 20th century came, the economy of the city started relying heavily on manufacturing. By 1915, many workers went on a strike to decrease their work hours per day to 8. This resulted in the city implementing the 8-hour rule, which became a standard for the rest of the country.
- Everyone knows the popular restaurant franchise of Subway. But, do you know where it all started?It started as Pete’s Subway in the city of Bridgeport when a certain Fred Deluca borrowed a loan of $1000 from a friend in the year 1965 and started it all at a side street location. The business started to flourish more in the second outpost downtown, leading to being the Subway we know today.
- The city of Bridgeport is also referred to as a park city. The reason being, almost every neighborhood in the city has a park and green space to wander around.
- During the year 1873, Abraham Lincoln made a speech during his campaign in Bridgeport. The speech was against slavery and this resulted in the crowd cheering for him and led to people following him till the train station.