Burlington is a city situated in the state of Vermont. It is also the largest city and the most populated one in the state. It is a college town and houses the University of Vermont as well as some other top colleges within the city. Many students from different parts of the United States come here for pursuing their higher education.
It is known to have the largest airport in the state of Vermont and the first-ever city in the United States to run completely on renewable energy.
The economy is mostly focused on education, transport, trade, and even manufacturing as well.
Population of Burlington in 2020:
To get hold of the population of Burlington in 2020, the population for the past 5 years needs to be checked. They are as per the following:
- 2015 –42,452
- 2016 – 42,461
- 2017 – 42,468
- 2018 – 42,477
- 2019 – 42,523
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Burlington has added up by 71 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 14.2. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 42,523 + 14.2 = 42,537.2. To conclude, the population of Burlington in 2020 as per estimates = 42,537.2.
Demography of Burlington:
In the city of Burlington, 85% are White, 7% Asian, 5% Black, 1% Native American and the rest 2% consist of other races.
The median age in Burlington city is 27 years with a sex ratio of 51% females and 49% males.
English is spoken mostly in the city but there are other European languages like, French and Spanish, which are spoken in many parts of the city.
Population Density and Growth of Burlington:
Burlington has a population density of 1532 persons per square kilometer. The population growth in Burlington is average with of the times each year it somehow makes a growth by a small margin. Due to being a student town, it somehow helps and it doesn’t face a decline in population unlike some cities in the country.
It is expected that the population growth will improve and get higher in the years to come.
Facts About Burlington:
- During the war in 1812, the city was the base for about 4,000 U.S. troops. This influx strained the resources of Burlington and resulted in problems between the citizens and soldiers. When the town officials arrested a few soldiers on charges of theft, some of the comrades rushed to the jail and freed them instantly.
- The University of Vermont is known for many things and it was founded in the year 1791. The University declared in support of freedom of religion in its charter and was the first-ever institute to do this. Additionally, it is known to be one of the first universities to allow female students in the year 1871.
- Burlington is known to have hosted the first-ever international hockey match in the world during the year 1886. It took place between Montreal Crystals from Canada and the local team of Van Nesse House. It resulted in the Canadians coming out victorious in this match.
- Decker Towers holds a unique status of being the tallest building in the city, which is around 11 stories. It also happens to be the tallest building in Vermont and this makes the Decker Towers the shortest – tallest building of any state in the United States.
- As per records, almost 30% of the traffic around the downtown area of Burlington is due to drivers searching for parking. Burlington claims to have a lot of parking space and it is trying to improve the parking signs to make it easier for people.