Coal and salt are an essential part of Charleston’s economy and even education, medicine, and trade play an imperative role in boosting the economy of the city.
The town went on to grow till the Civil War started in the year 1861 and later on the city was divided in loyalty between Confederacy and Union.
Population of Charleston in 2020:
To get hold of the population of Charleston in 2020, the population for the past 5 years needs to be checked. They are as per the following:
- 2015 –49,736
- 2016 – 49,404
- 2017 – 49,083
- 2018 – 48,759
- 2019 – 48,230.8
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Charleston has declined by 1505.2 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population decreases by 301.04. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 48,230.8 – 301.04 = 47,929.76. As per the conclusion, the population of Charleston in 2020 as per estimates = 47,929.76.
Demography of Charleston:
Charleston City comprises of 78% White, 15% Black, 2% Asian, 1% Native American, and other races make up the rest of the numbers.
The median age in the city is 41 years with a sex ratio of 51% females and 49% males. English is mostly spoken by the residents but also French, German, and Spanish are spoken in large numbers.
Population Density and Growth of Charleston:
Charleston has a population density of 578 persons per square kilometer. It is on the downward side in terms of population growth, as people are moving out of the city due to a lack of job opportunities and poor standards of living. If the city wants more people flowing in, it needs to improve its way of life and expand job opportunities for people.
It is estimated that population growth will take place after some years, as now it is going through a population loss.
Facts About Charleston:
- Charleston is well known for its parks, be it the Coonskin Park, Cato Park as well as the Kanawha State Forest, which is a large state park that consists of spaces for horse riding, picnic, biking, hiking and camping sites too.
- The city of Charleston was built on Salt as salt brines were found around the Kanawha River and the primary salt well was drilled here in the year 1806.
- By the 20th century, the city started witnessing it being the center for the state government. Natural resources in the form of gas, coal, and expansion of the railroad led to the growth of the city. Suddenly, there were numerous constructions of new buildings in the form of offices and churches.Some of them still stand in Charleston’s downtown area.
- The average temperature over here is quite warm as compared to that of West Virginia. Spring is known to be the most unpredictable season over here when it starts in March. Summers can be extremely hot as per American standards, while winters are quite chilly too.
- Charleston is known to be the host of several festivals and celebrations throughout the year. The West Virginia Dance Festival is held in April where dance students from all over the state attend workshops in various dance categories, ranging from ballet, jazz, and modern dance and, others.