Charleston is a city situated in the state of South Carolina, also happens to be the largest city within the state.
It is well known for its history, friendly people, architecture and also its food. It has received a lot of accolades regarding being one of the friendliest cities in the United States.
Most of the early settler was from England, Bermuda, and the West Indies. Also, the city in the past was home to the richest as well as the largest Jewish community in the whole of North America until the year 1830.
Population of Charleston in 2020:
To find out the population of Charleston in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –131,284
- 2016 – 134,385
- 2017 – 136,399
- 2018 – 137,120
- 2019 – 138,544
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Charleston seems to have added several people by having a growth of 7260 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 1452. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 138,544 + 1452 = 139,996. To conclude, the population of Charleston in 2020 as per estimates = 139,996.
Demography of Charleston:
As per the racial composition of the city of Charleston, 75% are White, 22% Black, 1% Asian, 0.5% Native American, and others make up the rest of it.
The city of Charleston has a median age of 34.4 years and a sex ratio of 52% females and 48% males.
Most of the population speaks English, while a few of them either converse in their native language or Spanish.
Population Density and Growth of Charleston:
Charleston City has a population density of 445 persons per square kilometer. It is having a decent population growth and has a far better record compared to some other cities in the United States. It is estimated that the city will have higher growth in terms of population in the years to come.
Facts About Charleston:
- In the past, the image the city had was of a wealthy place and it was considered the 4th largest city in Colonial America.
- During the year 1663, King Charles 2 of England gave the Carolina territory to about eight good friends, who helped him a lot to get back his throne after numerous years in exile. In the year 1670, the primary expedition sailed over the Atlantic and established the first-ever settlement known as Charlestown. Years passed by and after the American Revolution, the victorious colonists came up with a shorter name in the form of Charleston. This is how the city got its name in the form of Charleston.
- The city was always under the threat of pirate attacks in its early days. In the year 1718, the well-known pirate in the form of Edward Teach who is also known as the Blackbeard, went on an attacking spree on different ships trying to enter the harbor.He eventually took hostages and asked for ransomed them.
- When you stroll around the city of Charleston, you will notice a typical dark green color in most of the houses, known as Charleston Green.This is because, after the Civil War, the Union sent lots of black paint for locals to fix their damaged properties. Usually, the locals mix the black with a bit of Yellow to give a dark color.
- The first-ever theater in the country was made in 1736 in the form of the Dock Street Theater. It is situated in the heart of the city and it continues to stage numerous theater performances till today.