Chicago as a city is the largest and most populated in the state of Illinois. Going back to the past, around 200 settlers founded the city in the year 1833 and in a few years the population recorded a healthy 4000 individuals living in the city.
Chicago is a base for culture, finance, education, technology, and many more. It is a pretty much diverse city with people from different countries lives here together. Most of the outsides come here for a better standard of living in terms of their work-life or for higher education.
Moreover, there are large numbers of South Asian people living in Chicago.
Population of Chicago in 2020:
To look at the population of Chicago in 2020, the population figures for the previous 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –2.699 Million
- 2016 – 2.702 Million
- 2017 – 2.703 Million
- 2018 – 2.7388 Million
- 2019 – 2.74936 Million
After looking at the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Chicago went up by 0.05036 Million in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population increases by 0.010072 Million. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 2.74936 Million + 0.010072 Million = 2.759432 Million. To conclude, the population of Chicago in 2020 as per estimates = 2.759432 Million.
Demography of Chicago:
Chicago comprises of 50% White, 32% Black, 8% Asian, and Native American combined with other races make up the rest of the remainder.
The median age of the city is about 34 years with a sex ratio of 51.5% females and 48.5% males. 65% of the population speaks English in the city while the other half speak various languages, ranging from French, Spanish, Hindi, Urdu, Polish, and so on.
Population Density and Growth of Chicago:
Chicago has a population density of 4572 persons per square kilometer. Since the past few years, the growth in terms of population has been minimal and also resulted in a population loss before 2015.
Being a big city and resulting in a population loss in the past is something hard to digest but it is estimated that the city will have a higher population growth as compared to the current scenario in the years to come.
Facts About Chicago:
- Willis Tower is one popular attraction in Chicago with about millions of visitors per year on average. It is considered to be the second tallest building in the whole of the Western Hemisphere. When there are clear skies, you can see the four states from the Skydeck in the form of Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana.
- The Chicago River is unique in its ways by flowing around the downtown area of the city. The river not only runs through canals and different systems but also the solitary river in the whole world that flows backward.
- Chicago was the first-ever city to make a blood bank in the country. Blood Banks helped doctors to store donated blood for lifesaving purposes. Sooner or later many hospitals in the United States opened their Blood Banks.
- The Taste of Chicago is one such food festival that has its appeal as visitors can not only try different types of food but also enjoy some music performances by well-known artists. The festival usually takes place in July where a large number of foodies gather around for some lip-smacking food.
- There have been numerous inventions that took place and originated from Chicago. Some of them are, Roller Skates, remote control and Skyscrapers.