Columbia is a city placed in the state of South Carolina and happens to be the capital city. The Congaree people were the first ever to have inhabited this place and also it was one of the first-ever planned cities in the country.
It started as a village and by the year 1854, it was given the status of a city.
The University of South Carolina has its campus located here in Columbia and by the year 1801, it was chartered as South Carolina College. Currently; students from different parts of the United States as well as from different countries study here at the University.
Population of Columbia in 2020:
To find out the population of Columbia in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –133,803
- 2016 –134,309
- 2017 – 136,017
- 2018 – 136,887
- 2019 – 137,446.4
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Columbia seems to have added several people by having a growth of 3643.4 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 728.68. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 137,446.4 + 728.68 = 138,175.08. To conclude, the population of Columbia in 2020 as per estimates = 138,175.08.
Demography of Columbia:
The largest age group is the 25-44 years category which comprises almost 30% of the total population in Columbia. According to racial figures, 53% are White, 41% Black, 3% Asian, 0.5% Native American, and others comprise of the remainder of the population.
The city has a low median age of 28 years with a sex ratio of 49% females and 51% males.English is predominantly the main language of Columbia with a sizable number of them speaking Spanish as well.
Population Density and Growth of Columbia:
Columbia has a population density of 377 persons per square kilometer. Currently, it has a moderate level of population growth with less number of people coming into the city. It is estimated that the population growth will improve in a few years from now as more and more people will move into this part of the United States.
Facts About Columbia:
- The city is definitely on the hotter side with summer temperatures that can exhaust you in case you don’t have a water bottle with you while you’re headed out of your house.
- Columbia as a city is also referred to fondly as Soda City. It is not because any kind of soda was made here or something similar. It is called because of its short abbreviation of Columbia to Cola. Hence, it is now and then called Soda City.
- There are a few puppet theaters in Columbia, which is a rarity in the country. The Marionette Theater was made especially for this art form and its puppet shows are very unique in its way.
- The city of Columbia is the place where the world’s first textile mill run by electricity was opened in the year 1894. The mill as of now has turned into the South Carolina State Museum but still, there are a few indications in the form of the spinning machinery of the mill in the past.
- Fireflies are magical and they tend to light up at the same time in sync. They are usually found only at a few places all around the world and one of the places where you can get a glimpse of fireflies is just outside the city of Columbia at the Congaree National Park.