Population of Columbus 2020: (Capital & Largest City of Ohio)

The city of Columbus is the capital and also the largest in the state of Ohio. The area which is currently the city of Columbus in the past was in control of the French during the time of the 18th century and it was a fur-trading hub.

Population of Columbus 2020

When Ohio turned into a state in the year 1803, the city became the capital because it was easily accessible. The city was named after Christopher Columbus and it was chartered in the year 1834 with a mere population of only 3000 people.

Moreover, there are many old structures in the city that give you an idea of its past.

Population of Columbus in 2020:

To find out the population of Columbus in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:

  1. 2015 –850,106
  2. 2016 –860,090
  3. 2017 – 872,266
  4. 2018 – 884,436
  5. 2019 – 894,131.8

On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Columbus seems to have added several people by having a growth of 44,025.8 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 8805.16. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 894,131.8 + 8805.16 = 902,936.96. To conclude, the population of Columbus in 2020 as per estimates = 902,936.96.

Demography of Columbus:

60% are White, 29% Black, 6% Asian, 1% Native American, and others comprise of the remaining numbers. The city has a median age of 32.2 years and a sex ratio of 51.3% females and 48.7% males. English is the most spoken language in Columbus with 86% speakers, while the other 14% speak various languages.

Population Density and Growth of Columbus:

The city of Columbus has a population density of 1399 persons per square kilometer. Columbus has a good enough population growth for many years, and this is set to continue in the years to come.

Also, it is expected that the rate of population growth will get bigger a few years from now.

Facts About Columbus:

  1. It is one of the youngest cities in the entire United States. The average is just about 32 years and mostly you will find a younger crowd around you in the city.
  2. People might think that New York and Los Angeles are the two cities in the United States that lead in fashion. Well, you might be here for a surprise as the city of Columbus is considered to be the 3rd in the list of leading cities in fashion design. One of the main reasons for this is because many top fashion companies have their base here in the city of Columbus.
  3. In the year 2013, the city was ranked number one as the most intelligent city in all over the United States. Due to a large number of educational institutes located within the city, there have been numerous graduates and post-graduates living in the city. So, it is still one of the most intelligent cities in the country.
  4. There is this strange law in the city which stops you from fishing whales during Sunday’s. Yes, this is true indeed. In case you are an avid fan of fishing and you have got all the equipment to go on a fishing hunt for a whale, you will have to make sure that it is not Sunday.
  5. The very first ever cargo flight in the world landed in the city of Columbus. The flight carried two packages of silk from Dayton, and it was one historic moment because something like this never happened before during that time.