Des Moines is not just the capital but also the largest city in the state of Iowa. It is known to be one of the top cities for living and business too as well. Des Moines has been on the human occupation for as long as 7000 years with the tribes taking control of it and gradually the Europeans arrived here and took charge of Des Moines.
Moreover, Des Moines was ranked number one as the wealthiest city in the country during the year 2014 due to many reasons that make the city as number one.
Population of Des Moines in 2020:
To find out the population of Des Moines in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –210,330
- 2016 – 211,710
- 2017 – 213,096
- 2018 – 214,476
- 2019 – 215,523.2
After going through the data figures from 2015-19; it is evident that the population of Des Moines went up by 5193.2 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population increases by 1038.64. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 215,523.2 + 1038.64 = 216,561.84. To conclude, the population of Des Moines in 2020 as per estimates = 216,561.84.
Demography of Des Moines:
The population of Whites in the city is about 76%, Black 12%, Asian, 6%, and Native American 1%. The median age in Des Moines is 33.9 years with a sex ratio of 50.6% females and 49.4% males.
Des Moines city has almost 83% English speakers while others converse in Spanish, French and other languages.
Population Density and Growth of Des Moines:
The city has a population density of 950 persons per square kilometer. Des Moines has had an average population growth over the years; though it is one of the fastest-growing cities in Iowa overall it hasn’t matched the level in terms of growth as compared to other cities in the United States. It is estimated that the population growth will get better in the coming years.
Facts About Des Moines:
- The city of Des Moines has indeed been inhabited by people over 700 years. During the year 2011, archaeologists discovered a huge site which they referred to it as a Palace, which consisted of 6000 artifacts going back to that era.
- The founder of Pinterest, Ben Silbermann is from Des Moines and continues to promote things around the state of Iowa. Currently, he doesn’t reside in Des Moines but in California.
- During the year of 1933, Ronald Reagan began a job as a sports announcer for WHO in the city of Des Moines. He was pretty much colorful and expressive in his way of talking that many people got inspired by him and looked upon him.Once when he interviewed singer Joy Hudges, she got impressed and asked him to call her agent. This landed Reagan a seven-year film contract.
- Previously, it was Iowa City that was the capital of the state till the year 1855. Later on, the state of Iowa planned to move all operations to an ideal location in the form of Des Moines. Since then, Des Moines became the hub of the state and government operations.
- There are about a million people that rush into Des Moines each year in August for the Iowa State Fair. This Fair has a charm of its own in terms of food with numerous delicious foods like Apple Pie on a stick, Fried Peanut Butter, Jelly on a stick and so on.