Population of Detroit 2020: (Largest City of Michigan)

Detroit is the largest city in the state of Michigan, USA. The city is popular for being the automotive center of the globe and it is the hub of the US auto industry.

The culture of the city has been strongly influenced internationally, mostly in music and hip-hop and rock music ruling the charts over here.

Population of Detroit 2020

Live Music in the city of Detroit is one constant thing that you will discover within the city and it has been a component of its nightlife since the 1940s. Additionally, there are numerous places of interest within the city to check out.

Population of Detroit in 2020:

To get the actual population of Detroit in 2020, the population figures for the previous 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:

  1. 2015 – 677,416
  2. 2016 – 672,795
  3. 2017 – 665,965
  4. 2018 – 659,135
  5. 2019 – 655,244.4

After going through the data numbers from 2015-19; it is noticed that the population of Detroit has gone down by 22,171.6 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population decreases by 4434.32. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 655,244.4 – 4434.32 = 650,810.08. In conclusion, the population of Detroit in 2020 as per estimates = 650,810.08.

Demography of Detroit:

In terms of racial population, almost 80% are Black, 14% White, 2% Asian, 1% Native American, and others make up the remaining numbers.

34.5 years is the median age in Detroit with a sex ratio of 52.8% females and 47.2% males.

90% of the population in Detroit speaks English with the other 10% speaking various languages in the form of Spanish, French, and others.

Population Density and Growth of Detroit:

Detroit has a population density of 1873 persons per square kilometer. Due to many problems and one being bankruptcy, the city has faced negative growth and a decline in population growth. Few people are coming here to settle down and also its locals are moving out of the city, putting Detroit in a vulnerable situation.

According to recent information data, the population decline over the years has slowed down and the city is trying to get back on track with positive population growth. This information will be clear in the years to come when we get an idea of whether the city comes out of the population decline situation.

Facts About Detroit:

  1. There’s a good enough reason why Detroit is known as a Motor City. It is here where the world’s first urban freeway happened, and also the first four-way triple color traffic light happened.
  2. On average, you’ll have to wait for about almost an hour for the police to respond to your call in comparison to the national average of just about 11 minutes. The reason being, most of the police stations are closed for about 16 hours a day.
  3. The city had such a popular tourist attraction that even the Statue of Liberty. The Ford Rotunda was made in the year 1934 for the World Fair and it was the 5th most visited site in the country, before getting burned in the year 1962.
  4. During the time of the 1812 war, the city easily surrendered to Canadian forces after invasion. The strange part was even though the American forces were greater in number as compared to the British, Native American, and also Canadian troops. Still, the city went on to surrender to the Canadians.
  5. Sports are an imperative part of the city as the NBA and American Football are followed passionately by the people of Detroit.