The city of Hartford is the capital of Connecticut in the United States. It is one of the oldest in terms of cities within the U.S and also boasts of several landmarks.
It is said that Hartford used to be one of the richest cities in the country and now things have changed and it is currently one of the poorest cities in the U.S.
The current city was long back inhabited by various tribes in the form of Saukiog and Walgunks. The Europeans came here during the 1600s with the Dutch making a base for themselves over here.
Population of Hartford in 2020:
To know the population of Hartford in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 – 124,006
- 2016 – 123,853
- 2017 – 123,700
- 2018 – 123,547
- 2019 – 124,106.6
After checking the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Hartford went up by 100.6 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population goes up by 20.12. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 124,106.6 + 20.12 = 124,126.72. To conclude, the population of Hartford in 2020 as per estimates = 124,126.72.
Demography of Hartford:
The age group which has the largest number of people in the city of Hartford is from the under 18 age group and comprises about 30% of the overall population.
Hartford has a sex ratio of 91 males per 100 females and also 3 out of an average of 10 families live below the poverty line.
It is considered as one of the poorest cities in the entire United States.
Population Density and Growth of Hartford:
Hartford as a city has a population density of 2754 persons per square kilometer. The city of Hartford used to grow significantly in the past with a healthy population growth rate but things have changed in a big way as the city lost its growth and currently the population is dropping significantly every year for various reasons.
One of them being poverty and most of the people has started to shift their base to other cities, leading to a more population loss.
Facts About Hartford:
- The first-ever magazine which was made entirely for kids was back in 1789 and the name of the magazine was The Children’s Magazine.
- The first instance when a President of the U.S went on an automobile ride was in 1902 and it was Theodore Roosevelt as he took a complete ride of the roads of Hartford city.
- Mark Twain, the famous writer lived in this city for almost 17 years and wrote numerous well-known works of his. The mansion in which he used to live is currently a museum as of now in the name of the Wadsworth Atheneum. This castle kind of building is one of the biggest art museums in the state of Connecticut.
- Hartford is also referred to as the Insurance Capital. The main reason for this is that there are many insurance company headquarters over here and insurance is the number one industry in Hartford.
- Hartford city is known for many things and some of them are in the form of education and medical care. You will find many hospitals and medical centers for the treatment of various kinds. People from other parts of the United States come over to Hartford for different treatments all over the year.
Additionally, there are some top-notch schools and colleges located in the city of Hartford.