Honolulu is the state capital and also the largest city in Hawaii, USA. It’s a major tourist spot but also a base for military defense and international business as well.
The place was inhabited first by Polynesian migrants since the 11th century and by 1794 numerous foreigners arrived here to create a hub for sailing ships between North America and Asia.
The city of Honolulu has been the capital since the year 1845 and got recognition after the attack by Japan on Pearl Harbor in the year 1941.
As per the year 2015, it is considered the 2nd safest city to live in the United States.
Population of Honolulu in 2020:
To find out the population of Honolulu in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –399,320
- 2016 – 351,792
- 2017 – 345,298
- 2018 – 338,804
- 2019 – 350,399.2
After looking at the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Honolulu went down by 48,920.8 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population decreases by 9784.16. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 350,399.2 – 9784.16 = 340,615.04. To conclude, the population of Honolulu in 2020 as per estimates = 340,615.04.
Demography of Honolulu:
Honolulu mostly has an Asian majority with a population of about 55%, White 18%, Native 10%, Black 2%, and others make up the rest of the numbers.
The median age over here is 41 years with a sex ratio of 50.7% females and 49.3% males. 66% of the people in Honolulu speak English, while others speak different Asian languages since most of them are from Asia.
Population Density and Growth of Honolulu:
Honolulu has a population density of 2236 persons per square kilometer. Honolulu for many years has been growing slowly and that has resulted in a population growth decline and the cost of housing has been another factor.
It is estimated that the current population growth will improve in the years to come by turning it into positive growth.
Facts About Honolulu:
- There is a law in Honolulu which says that it is illegal to annoy any kind of birds within the city. It has been a confusing law since what does it mean by annoying a bird?
- Another law states that you may go to jail in case you are either fishing with dynamite, electric current or even poison. What? Who would go on a fishing spree by taking with him dynamite? The law has been kind of confusing.
- Since it is a tourist destination, a huge number of people from within the United States and other countries come here to soak in the sand and enjoy the laid back life in Honolulu. The city for the most part of the year is flooded with tourists and somehow tourism has boosted the city’s economy in a big way.
- The two official languages spoken over here are Hawaiian and English. Also, many local languages are spoken as well in the form of, Samoan, Pidgin, and Japanese too.The city boasts a large number of Asian populations, so it is evident that many speak different Asian languages in the city of Honolulu.
- The city and the state of Hawaii have been given the rank 1 position in terms of general well being. With almost no crimes, lush green scenic views and friendly people over here, this position seems well deserved for the city of Honolulu and the state of Hawaii.