Indianapolis is the capital and it also happens to be the largest in the state of Indiana. It happens to be the 13th largest city in the U.S. Recently; Forbes ranked it as one the ideal down towns in the United States with ample amenities in the form of museums, movie theaters, entertainment and so on.
The current area of the city was inhabited by Native American Tribes for many years since 1820 or even before. Indianapolis is also well known for its fast-paced NASCAR tournaments and many people out here follow the sport with full passion.
Population of Indianapolis in 2020:
To find out the population of Indianapolis in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –857,932
- 2016 – 855,164
- 2017 – 860,954
- 2018 – 866,742
- 2019 – 869,012
After going through the data figures from 2015-19; it is evident that the population of Indianapolis went up by 11,080 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population increases by 2216. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 869,012 + 2216 = 871,228. To conclude, the population of Indianapolis in 2020 as per estimates = 871,228.
Demography of Indianapolis:
As per racial figures, 61% are White, 29% Black, 3% Asian, and Native American, as well as others, makes up the rest of the numbers.
The median age of the people in the city is 34.1 years with a sex ratio of 52% females and 48% males. English is the most common language over here with 86% speakers, while others speak in various languages in the form of French, Spanish, and other languages.
Population Density and Growth of Indianapolis:
Indianapolis has a population density of 876 persons per square kilometer. Population growth of the city has been really low for some years now with less number of people adding up every year. Despite having a sluggish population growth, it is estimated that the city of Indianapolis will finally have a healthy population growth of about 15% by the year 2050.
Facts About Indianapolis:
- The Motor Speedway of Indianapolis is quite big and it is the largest sporting facility in the entire globe. It holds about 250,000 seats and it is around 250 acres. For instance, the Yankee Stadium, Vatican City and also the Rose Bowl could easily fit in. Astonishing, right?
- The city holds the position of being the second largest populated state capital in the country. The first position easily belongs to Phoenix, Arizona.
- In the year 1911, the famous Indianapolis 500 races began and the prize given to the winner among all the qualifiers was about $ 25,000. Also, the ticket cost was just a mere $1 each for total spectators of 81,000. That would have been some collection for the organizers. Usually, people from all over the world come over here to witness these legendary races that happen in the city.
- There have been numerous claims by different cities regarding the largest Christmas tree they have but Indianapolis seems to have hit Bull’s Eye. The city is considered to have the largest Christmas tree in the world and it is said to be there since the year 1962. The tree is said to have 5000 lights attached to it with 52 strands of garland.
- The zoo of Indianapolis works as a triple as the zoo is not only limited to just being called a zoo but it also comprises of a beautiful botanical garden and also an aquarium.