Jacksonville happens to be the largest city in the state of Florida, USA. The area has been inhabited for numerous years and also some old remnants have been found recently in the form of pottery.
The city was occupied by the Mocama Tribe during the 16th century and later the Europeans arrived here with the Spanish being in control of the area for many years until they gave it away to the British.
Much like its state, tourism plays an integral part in boosting the economy. Each year the city witnesses a large number of tourists coming to the city.
Population of Jacksonville in 2020:
To find out the population of Jacksonville in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –868,031
- 2016 – 899,978
- 2017 –913,010
- 2018 – 926,045
- 2019 – 940,577.6
After looking at the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Jacksonville went up by 72,546.6 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population increases by 14,509.32. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 940,577.6 + 14,509.32 = 955,086.92. To conclude, the population of Jacksonville in 2020 as per estimates = 955,086.92.
Demography of Jacksonville:
In terms of racial composition, Jacksonville comprises 59% White, 30% Black, 6% Asian, 2% Native American, and others 3%.
The median age is 35 years with a sex ratio of 51% females and 49% males. As per language is spoken, English is the main language over here with speakers comprising of almost 90%. The second most spoken language in Jacksonville is Spanish.
Population Density and Growth of Jacksonville:
Jacksonville has a population density of 454.8 persons per square kilometer. The population growth for the city has been steady over the years with a population growth rate of almost 2%. The reason for the city having a steady growth is the tourism factor in which many of them come here and settle down in Jacksonville.
It is expected that the population growth will continue in the years to come.
Facts About Jacksonville:
- The Friendship Fountain is certainly one of the major attractions in Jacksonville. This fountain can throw up almost 6500 gallons of water of about 100 feet in the air per minute and has around 265 multicolored lights that change into a rainbow color.This fountain in the city was made in the year 1965.
- The farmers market in the city is known to have great importance as it is the oldest market in the state of Florida. It was founded in 1938 and on average around 20,000 people visit this iconic market per week.
- Jacksonville has a place in the National Football League as its team in the form of Jacksonville Jaguars entered the league in the year 1995. Anyway, since the start of their league, they have only won 5 post-season games. Their home stadium is located in the downtown area of the city.
- During every Thanksgiving weekend, the Jacksonville light boat parade takes place and a large number of people gather to witness it. During this holiday season, number boats together are covered in Christmas lights and make way towards the downtown part of Jacksonville on the St. Johns River.Later on, splendid fireworks follow during the parade.
- New York was the hub of the movie industry during the early part of the 20th century but due to extreme snowy conditions during winter, many movie studios had to open in Jacksonville. This meant that film shooting could carry on throughout the year in case New York gets too snowy.