Juneau is a city and happens to be the capital of Alaska in the United States. Long before the Europeans came here and touched base, it was more of a fishing area for numerous tribes that have been living for a long number of years.
The city started growing in a big way during the 1950s when Alaska was designated as a state. By the time around the 1970s, the city of Juneau further had a growth in population and also economic growth as well. Currently, Juneau is a popular and big tourist spot in which tourists come over here every year via ship cruises from other parts of the country.
Population of Juneau in 2020:
To know the population of Juneau in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 – 33,234
- 2016 – 32,468
- 2017 – 32,666
- 2018 – 32,866
- 5.2019 – 32,820
After going through the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Juneau went down by 414 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population gets reduced by 82.8 people. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 32,280 – 82.8 = 32,197.2. To conclude, the population of Juneau in 2020 as per estimates = 32,197.2.
Demography of Juneau:
As per population in terms of race, White’s are in majority with more than 20,000 in number, followed by American Indians with about 3,000 in numbers, followed by Asian, Black, and others.
As per sex ratio, females comprise of 48% and males are 52%. Coming to language, almost 90% of the people over here speak English. Other languages that are spoken are mostly Asian.
Population Density and Growth of Juneau:
The population density of Juneau is 4.59 persons per square kilometer. Over the past years, Juneau has experienced moderate population growth but in the last few years, the growth has turned negative and resulted in a population loss.
As per estimates, it is expected that the city will get back to its population growth and bring in a rise in its population in the years to come.
Facts About Juneau:
- By the year of 1906, the capital of Alaska was changed from Sitka to Juneau and this resulted in a massive change in terms of population and economic growth. This also meant that fur trade and whaling were on an all-time low and decline which gave Sitka a unique recognition.
- The gold discovery in the city was one of the reasons which made Juneau a prominent city in Alaska and led to being the capital from Sitka. Due to the Gold discovery, a large number of people started visiting Juneau.
- Juneau city might be located on the mainland of Alaska but actually, there are no roads that connect the city to the other parts of Alaska or North America. Most of the goods arrive here via plane or boat. The reason for this is because of the rugged terrains around it.
- Tourism is an integral part of Juneau and it has largely helped the city to boost its economy. Additionally, even Fishing is a major part of the city and results in an economic boost. Each year there are a large number of Tourists that visit Juneau by arriving here via Ship Cruise.
- Since Juneau is in Alaska, you can expect to experience some picturesque views that will fascinate you. There are several such amazing attractions in Juneau which will amaze you with its stunning views and tranquility.