Population of Lansing 2020: (Capital of Michigan)

Lansing is a city in the state of Michigan and it also happens to be the capital city. Also, it is the solitary state that is not a county seat and the 5th largest city of Michigan.

Population of Lansing 2020

The Europeans came here in 1790 but until 1827 it wasn’t fully functional and active. Winters out here are quite cold with heavy snowfall and summers being on the hot and humid side. The city also comprises of many farmers markets during the summertime. Some of the popular farmer markets are the Westside Farmers Market and Old Town Farmers Market.

Population of Lansing in 2020:

To get the actual population of Lansing in 2020, the population figures for the previous 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:

  1. 2015 –114,893
  2. 2016 – 115,213
  3. 2017 – 115,438
  4. 2018 – 115,731
  5. 2019 – 115,953.2

After going through the data numbers from 2015-19; it is known that the population of Lansing has gone up by 1060.2 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 212.04. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 115,953.2 + 212.04 = 116,165.24. As per the conclusion, the population of Lansing in 2020 as per estimates = 116,165.24.

Demography of Lansing:

Nearly 62% of the population is White, 22% Black, 4% Asian, 1% Native American, and others comprise of the remaining numbers.

Lansing has a median age of 2.3 years with a sex ratio of 51.8% females and 48.8% males. 88% of the people over here converse in English, while the remaining 12% speak Spanish and other languages.

Population Density and Growth of Lansing:

The city of Lansing has a population density of 1153 persons per square kilometer. Lansing in its past years had witnessed huge growth in terms of population, one of the reasons being it was given the status of a capital city. Like many other cities, it peaked and continued to grow until a time came where it started to see population decline every year.

Currently, it is back on track with positive population growth. Though the growth annually isn’t on the higher side, it is picking up. It is estimated that the city will face a higher population growth in the coming years.

Facts About Lansing:

  1. Being the capital city of Michigan, Lansing mostly focuses on being the head office of the state government. This results in many students and tourists to the state every year.
  2. One issue that haunts the city of Lansing is the rate of violent crimes within the city. The crime rate of the city is much higher than the national average, which makes tourists and students think about their decision to come here. Only the eastern part of the city is somewhat on the safer side.
  3. The downtown area of the city of Lansing is flourishing with new restaurants, shops, and so on. Previously, the only thing that was the major attraction was the state capitol around the downtown part. Also, out here there is the oldest operating farmers market in the whole of the United States.
  4. The Lansing Art Gallery is the city’s oldest, and it was founded in the year 1965. The gallery showcases works of numerous artists from Michigan and offers cultural enhancement opportunities for the locals in the city.
  5. It is more on the humid continental climate side with winters going from cold to moderate and heavy snowfall. In terms of summer, it can go from humid to pretty much warm weather in the city of Lansing.