Montpelier City is officially the state capital of Vermont. The city was incorporated by the year 1895 and it happens to be one of the least populated state capitals of the United States.
During the time from 1600-1800, Europeans touched base here and in a small time frame due to war there was a destruction of Native American settlements. However, Native Americans stayed here until the middle part of the 1800s.
It is more on the colder side with long and snowy winter, which tends to extend for more number of days as compared to other cities in the country. Summers are humid with temperatures can touch about 33 degree Celsius.
Population of Montpelier in 2020:
To get hold of the population of Montpelier in 2020, the population for the past 5 years needs to be checked. They are as per the following:
- 2015 –7592
- 2016 – 7537
- 2017 – 7485
- 2018 – 7430
- 2019 – 7521
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Montpelier has declined by 71 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population decreases by 14.2. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 7521 – 14.2 = 7506.8. To conclude, the population of Montpelier in 2020 as per estimates = 7506.8.
Demography of Montpelier:
According to official data reports, the city of Montpelier comprises 95% White, 2% Black, 1% Asian, and the remaining smaller numbers are of other races.
The median age is on the higher side with 44 years and the sex ratio being 55% females and 45% males. English is mostly spoken in Montpelier but also different European languages are spoken too due to a large number of Europeans living here in the city.
Population Density and Growth of Montpelier:
The population density of Montpelier city is 303 persons per square kilometer. The city has been facing a continuous decline in population as it already has a low population and on top, it is losing a small amount of it each year.
Some of the major reasons for this are a high crime rate and a lower standard of living. The estimates say that this will continue for a few years until a significant growth comes along for the city of Montpelier.
Facts About Montpelier:
- Almost 2,500 people work in the city for various specialization and organizations, considering the population being on the lower side, this is phenomenal.Due to this reason, the service as well as the retail industry in the city has jumped upwards.The well known Ice Cream Company in the form of Ben & Jerry’s have their base here and it also helps boost the economy of Montpelier.
- It is the smallest city in the state of Vermont but almost half the population is engaged in the workforce and other things. Also, females are in a greater number as compared to males by a wide margin.
- More than 10,000 years ago Native Americans in the form of Abenaki people lived around the area of Montpelier. As times passed by, the tribes turned to be more civilized and started utilizing bows and arrows as well as a trade network. Later on, the Iroquois people fought with the current tribes of that time and got hold of the area.
- In most of its past years, it was an unknown place and was under control of numerous Native American tribes and somehow by the 18th century, it started attracting people from other parts of the United States.
- The Vermont State House is one of the most popular attractions in the city that draws in a lot of people.