Population of New Orleans 2020: (Largest City in Louisiana)

The city of New Orleans is popular for its French architecture and cultural heritage is the largest city in the state of Louisiana. The way the city’s location and elevation have made it quite vulnerable to floods.

The city was badly affected by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 which made it almost 80% flooding within New Orleans and resulted in a population decline of the city after the tragic incident.

Population of New Orleans 2020

Moreover, the city of New Orleans has a large number of French as well as Spanish speakers due to its past as being a French colony.

Additionally, the city has a lot to offer in terms of attractions with unique restaurants, malls, French

Architectural design buildings and a lot more that would impress people coming from other parts of the country or world.

Population of New Orleans in 2020:

To get the actual population of New Orleans in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:

  1. 2015 –389,617
  2. 2016 – 398,775
  3. 2017 – 407,940
  4. 2018 – 417,100
  5. 2019 – 423,656

After going through the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of New Orleans has increased by 34,039 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population increases by 6807.8. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 423,656 + 6807.8 = 430,463.8. To conclude, the population of New Orleans in 2020 as per estimates = 430,463.8.

Demography of New Orleans:

As per racial figures, 59% are Black, 35% White, 3% Asian, 1% Native American, and others make up the rest. The median age is 36 years with a sex ratio of 52% females and 48% males.

91% of the population in the city speaks English, while the other 9% speak various languages with French and Spanish in the majority.

Population Density and Growth of New Orleans:

New Orleans city has a population density of 783 persons per square kilometer. From the year 2010-11, the city was ranked number one in terms of population growth with about 4.9%. Anyway, after Hurricane Katrina, the city is slowly and steadily growing at a good enough speed and picking up.

It is expected that the population in the coming years might even overtake the population it had before Hurricane Katrina.

Facts About New Orleans:

  1. The city is well known to be an ideal place for paranormal investigators and also for those who are quite keen on ghost hunting. It is said the city of New Orleans has the highest spiritual activity in the country, mostly around the French quarter.
  2. New Orleans as a city was founded during the 18th century, and it was believed that the city is safe from Hurricanes and it was built in a rectangle block.
  3. It is known to be the largest city in the state of Louisiana and also one of the most imperative ports, educational hub and also a popular destination in which many tourists flock in here every year.
  4. New Orleans holds a unique distinction of being twice the state capital of Louisiana. The title of the capital city shifted in the year 1825 from New Orleans to Donaldsonville and then after 39 years returning as the capital of the state in the year 1864.
  5. The city is a major grain port in the world with exports comprising of raw agricultural products, chemicals, textiles, tobacco, paperboard, and petroleum. There has been a huge growth in terms of bulk exports from the time of the 1980s, which has made the city what it is now.