Olympia as a city is in the state of Washington, United States. It is the state capital and it was inhabited by various tribes who took control of this part of the country many years ago. The first-ever Europeans landed here in the year 1792 and it was only by 1850 when it got the name of Olympia. The capitol building of Olympia had its construction started in 1912 and it was finally completed by the year 1928.
Currently, the city is popular for its art as well as music. Moreover, the people out here are very friendly towards tourists and in case you happen to visit the city, try going to the interior parts of Olympia to know its past in a better way.
Population of Olympia in 2020:
To get hold of the population of Olympia in 2020, the population for the past 5 years needs to be checked. They are as per the following:
- 2015 –50,302
- 2016 – 51,066
- 2017 – 51,838
- 2018 – 52,606
- 2019 – 53,394.4
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Olympia has added up by 3092 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 618.4. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 53,394.4 + 618.4 = 54,012.8. To conclude, the population of Olympia in 2020 as per estimates = 54,012.8.
Demography of Olympia:
28% of the population of Olympia belongs to the age group of 25-44, which is the largest in the city of Olympia. 85% of the population is White, 7% Asian, 3% Black, 2% Native American, and other races in smaller numbers. The median age in Olympia is 38 years with a sex ratio of 52% females and 48% males.
English is spoken mostly in the city with Spanish and French speakers as well.
Population Density and Growth of Olympia:
Olympia has a population density of 1092 persons per square kilometer. Population growth has been average for a few years with less number of people adding up each year. Estimates say that the population growth will stay at a similar pace for a few years as of now.
Facts About Olympia:
- Many people in the city work under the government of Washington State. On an annual basis, state representatives visit Olympia to make some laws and also pass a budget for the government of the state.
- When Washington territory was made in the year 1853, the city of Olympia was in a jiffy given the status of being the capital. Despite having an edge as a city due to a pre-order of the city should be the capital, it did face a lot of challenges from other cities for being the capital of the state.
- World War 1, as well as 2, had some impact on the city but it also resulted in an increase in population as many people from other areas came here in search of work, mostly for shipbuilding. Since the population grew rapidly, it did face trouble in the form of the earthquake in the year1949, which went on to destroy most of the downtown area of Olympia.
- Olympia is well known for its greeneries as well as a long list of parks. Some of the famous parks are Sunrise Park, Woodruff Park, and also Burfoot Park.
- November is one of the rainiest months of the city of Olympia, which extends till January. Winters are usually pretty cold with freezing temperatures and summers can be extremely humid. It doesn’t have scorching heat during the summers but the humidity does drain you out.