Philadelphia is a city in the state of Pennsylvania and also happens to be the largest city in the state. The current area was initially home to the Lenape Indians until the Europeans came over here. The first-ever Europeans were Dutch, who built the Fort Nassau in 1623, which is currently known as Brooklawn.
It is an economic hub as well as a top educational center with numerous universities around here, bringing in many students from all around the world.
It is a city with many firsts, including the first-ever library and hospital.
Population of Philadelphia in 2020:
To find out the population of Philadelphia in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –1.56 Million
- 2016 – 1.562 Million
- 2017 – 1.5664 Million
- 2018 – 1.56968 Million
- 2019 – 1.572816 Million
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Philadelphia seems to have added several people by having a growth of 0.012816 Million in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 0.0025632 Million. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 1.572816 Million + 0.0025632 Million = 1.5753792 Million. To conclude, the population of Philadelphia in 2020 as per estimates = 1.5753792 Million.
Demography of Philadelphia:
The largest ancestry group as per the year 2010 is Irish (14%), Italian (10%), German (9%), and English (6%).
As per race, 43% are Black, 42% White, 9% Asian, 1% Native American, and other races make up the remaining numbers.
34 years is the median age in the city of Philadelphia and the sex ratio is 53% females and 47% males.
English is the most commonly spoken language in Philadelphia with almost 80% speakers, while the others speak different native languages of their own.
Population Density and Growth of Philadelphia:
Philadelphia has a population density of 4554 persons per square kilometer. There was a time when the population growth of the city was stalled due to various reasons, one of them being high crime rates. Things are beginning to change as Philadelphia has been experiencing continuous population growth for successive years. It is expected that there will be a much higher population growth for the city in the years to come.
Facts About Philadelphia:
- It is a city that has a lot of firsts, similarly, the first daily newspaper of the country started here in the form of The Philadelphia Packet & Daily Advertiser in the year 1784.
- This might come as a surprise and people might think the answer would be England, but the oldest running theater in the English speaking world is in Philadelphia in the form of the Walnut Street Theater. It was totally under the ownership of Edwin Booth.
- If you happen to be a foodie, this city does have a lot to offer in the form of different places, but there is also an eating contest known as the Wing Bowl which brings in more than 20,000 people to compete in it. Do you think you can win it here with your eating skills?
- William Penn is the founder of the city as well as the state of Pennsylvania. But, the first-ever settlers around the area were the Dutch and later the Swedish.
- The suburbs of the city of Philadelphia is where the King of Prussia Mall is situated. A large number of people come here to check out new things and have a good time. Additionally, it is also the largest mall in the United States.