Pierre is a city situated in the state of South Dakota and happens to be the capital of the state. The city was founded in the year 1880 and it became the capital when the territory of South Dakota was recognized as a state.
Huron city was a challenger to Pierre to be given the status of capital but somehow it was Pierre that came on top and got the title of being the capital of the state of South Dakota. The city of Pierre is also famous for its spectacular scenic views and calm way of life, which is attractive in its way.
Population of Pierre in 2020:
To find out the population of Pierre in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –14,002
- 2016 – 14,081
- 2017 – 14,152
- 2018 – 14,226
- 2019 – 14,250.6
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Pierre seems to have added few people by having a growth of 248.6 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 49.72. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 14,250.6 + 49.72 = 14,300.32. To conclude, the population of Pierre in 2020 as per estimates = 14,300.32.
Demography of Pierre:
Pierre in terms of racial figures comprises 84% White, 12% Native American, 0.5% Asian, and others make up the rest of the population of Pierre.
The median age is on the higher side with 37.6 years with a sex ratio of 52% females and 48% males. English is the language that is spoken by the majority of the population of Pierre. Additionally, Spanish, as well as French, are spoken in some parts of the city.
Population Density and Growth of Pierre:
Pierre has a population density of 403 persons per square kilometer. The population growth of Pierre has been average for years now; fortunately, there hasn’t been a population loss for a while. As per estimates, it is expected that the city might get higher growth in the population in the future.
Facts About Pierre:
- The city is home to one of the National Guard Museums, which consists of only 20 in the United States. The museum features various past information and data of the Air National Guard and also the Dakota Militia. It is a popular attraction in the city of Pierre, with the most number of guests coming during the weekends.
- It does not consist of an interstate highway running through Pierre. The city comes under the 5 capital cities in the United States that is not served by an interstate highway.
- The city was given the status of being the capital city in the 1800s after a battle with Mitchell City. The city of Mitchell had an upper hand with the majority of the state living there but it was the voter referendum that got to decide the capital and it was the city of Pierre that won at last.Also, the capitol building was made in the year 1908 but it outgrew the size of the state government. The main building still exists and is under the capitol complex.
- The weather conditions in the city can easily be termed as extreme. When it is Summer-time, temperatures can go beyond the high 30’s and in the time of winter the temperature goes beyond 0 and it gets really cold. December and January are the coldest months of the year in Pierre city.
- The Oahe Dam is one popular attraction that is filled with tourists every week.