Population of Portland 2020: (Largest City of Maine)

Portland is the largest city in the state of Maine. The economy of the city is mostly dependant on the service sector and tourism, which boosts the economic conditions. The marine industry is an imperative part of the city with fishing and commercial shipping providing a lot to the city.

Population of Portland 2020

The unemployment rate over here is on the lower side as compared to the national and state average. Also, it has a higher median income in comparison to the state average. This signifies that the city is on the right track as of now.

Population of Portland in 2020:

To get the actual population of Portland in 2020, the population figures for the previous 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:

  1. 2015 –66,881
  2. 2016 – 67,019
  3. 2017 – 67,151
  4. 2018 – 67,289
  5. 2019 – 67,413.6

After going through the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Portland has jumped up by 532.6 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population increases by 106.52. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 67,413.6 + 106.52 = 67,520.12. To conclude, the population of Portland in 2020 as per estimates = 67,520.12.

Demography of Portland:

The median age of the city is 36 years and for every 100 females, there are around 98 males.

As per racial records, 84% are White, 9% Black, 4% Asian, 1% Native American, and others make up the remainder of the population in the city. 85% of the people in Portland speak English, while the other 15% speak Spanish and other languages.

Population Density and Growth of Portland:

Portland has a population density of 1215 persons per square kilometer. It is seen that the population growth has been fairly positive over the last few years, though in small numbers but effective enough to be growing and adding more people to its population tally. It is expected that the population growth rate will go further higher in the years to come.

Facts About Portland:

  1. In the year 1675, the current area of what is Portland right now was set ablaze during a Native American raid. This all happened due to a conflict between settlers and natives that went on from 1675 to one more year.
  2. Not a single transatlantic port is as near to Europe in the country as Portland. As per official reports, it is the country’s 20th largest fishing port.
  3. The suburb of the southern part of the city is where the Maine Mall is located. When it is usually closed, about 23,000 people can be found there. But, the number significantly goes up when it’s open to about 80,000. Astonishing, right?
  4. Portland city was the first-ever capital of the state. But, things changed as leaders wanted more of a centrally located area and they chose Augusta as the capital of Maine. The city tried to win back the title of being the capital of Maine, but unfortunately, things haven’t been on their side for a while now.
  5. Each year, the city gives a grand welcome to summer with the Old Port Festival. This all started in the year 1973, and now it is the biggest one day festival in the state of Maine. In the initial years, it started on the first Sunday of June but it was kind of altered in 2010 when it got set to be on the second Sunday of June. Out here at this festival, you’ll find some amazing food, live music and street performers too.