In overall terms, it is the 26th largest city behind Seattle. By the time the 20th century started, it got unpopular for being one of the dangerous port cities on the planet, basically a hub for organized crime.
The economy of the city started having an industrial boom right during World War 2 and its dangerous image was starting to go off and it did vanish.
Population of Portland in 2020:
To find out the population of Portland in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –619,801
- 2016 –639,863
- 2017 – 649,210
- 2018 – 658,557
- 2019 – 667,342.8
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Portland seems to have added several people by having a growth of 47,541.8 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 9508.36. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 667,342.8 + 9508.36 = 676,851.16. To conclude, the population of Portland in 2020 as per estimates = 676,851.16.
Demography of Portland:
There are about 6% or more population of African people living in the city, Asians are around the 5% mark with Vietnamese and Chinese people in large numbers live in Portland. Europeans are in the majority over here from countries like Germany, Italy, and France.
Additionally, apart from English, the other languages spoken mostly are Italian, German, and French.
Population Density and Growth of Portland:
Portland has a population density of 1737 persons per square kilometer. There was a drop in population growth in the recent past but it has somehow picked up with a better standard of living and more job opportunities.
It is currently having a moderate pace of population growth and this is set to be the same for a few years until it witnesses a higher population growth shortly.
Facts About Portland:
- As compared to the average cost of living in other cities in the United States, it is comparatively higher in Portland for various reasons. Nevertheless, people still flock in here to buy a residence for them and have a better standard of living.
- The name of the city was given after a coin toss. Francis Pettygrove and Asa Lovejoy couldn’t decide on the name of the land they acquired and they casually went for a coin toss and the winner would keep the name after their hometown. It was Pettygrove who won and he hailed from Portland, Maine, and from there itself the city of Portland got its name.
- The uni-piper is a resident of the city and also happens to be a musician, street performer, and a unicyclist. He would ride around local areas in the costume of Darth Vader by playing his bagpipes with fire coming out of it.He would occasionally dress in other characters from Pokémon and Game of Thrones as well.
- Forest Park is within the city of Portland and it stretches almost 13 km and provides amazing views of Willamette River. It is known to be the largest forested park around the city limits in the United States.
- The city is more towards an oceanic climate with cool and windy winters as well as dry summers. The coldest month is December where the temperature goes down to almost 7 degrees Celsius, while in summer the temperature touches almost 28 degrees Celsius.