Providence as a city happens to be the capital and also the largest city in the state of Rhode Island. It was founded in the year 1636, which surely makes it one of the oldest cities in the country.
During its initial years, it was more of a maritime industry but things changed after the American Revolution.
The economy started focusing more on manufacturing but also jewelry and textiles.
Currently, the city has a list of hospitals and educational institutes that have boosted the economy of the city in a big way.
Providence is mostly a calm and laid back city, which is different from other cities in the United States.
Population of Providence in 2020:
To find out the population of Providence in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –179,207
- 2016 – 179,440
- 2017 – 179,670
- 2018 – 179,903
- 2019 – 180,335
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Providence seems to have added just a few people by having a growth of 895 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 179. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 180,335 + 179 = 180,514. To conclude, the population of Providence in 2020 as per estimates = 180,514.
Demography of Providence:
53% are White, 16% Black, 7% Asian, 2% Native American, and other races comprise of the remaining numbers. 29.9 years is the median age in Providence with a sex ratio of 51.9% females and 48.1% males.
51% of the population speaks in English, while the other half speaks different languages as many immigrants are living here from different parts of the world.
Population Density and Growth of Providence:
Providence has a population density of 9676 persons per square kilometer. It was in the past known to have had a high population growth but due to many circumstances, it all changed. Currently, it barely gets into positive population growth and this signifies that fewer people are moving to this part of the United States.
As per estimates, this pace of population growth is set to continue for a few more years until a major growth.
Facts About Providence:
- In case you are planning for some leisure time without much of a noisy crowd, Providence is the ideal place for you in the United States. Additionally, it has the most number of restaurants per capita. Fresh seafood is one of the main things offered in numerous restaurants in the city and they are brought from Narragansett Bay.Most of the owners of the restaurants are usually former students of the Johnson and Wales University.
- Roger Williams was the person who founded the city in 1636 after he bought it from the Narragansett Indians. He was forced to flee Massachusetts due to religious persecution. He had this aim of making this new area of religious and political tolerance.
- People of the city were the first ever to take military action against England during the American Revolution by burning and destroying one of their ships. When the investigators of the British came to the city, the locals didn’t utter a word and were tight-lipped about it.
- Doughnuts are surely a craze among young people but did you know that the city has several doughnut shops than any other city in the United States? It is true and people over here love their Doughnut.
- One downside of the city is poverty. Almost 28% of the population of Providence lives below the poverty line.