Salem is a city located in the state of Oregon, and it happens to be the capital of the state. It is just an hour away from the city of Portland and it is home to several top-notch educational institutes, including Willamette University.
The area was occupied for more than 10,000 years and when the Europeans came here, the Kalapuya people were in command of this place. Salem had gone through a transition in terms of various names being given to it, one of them being Chemeketa.
The economy of the city is mostly driven by agriculture, which is an imperative factor behind the growth of the city.
Population of Salem in 2020:
To find out the population of Salem in 2020, the population figures for the past 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –164,549
- 2016 – 167,419
- 2017 – 169,549
- 2018 – 171,679
- 2019 – 173,487.4
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Salem seems to have added several people by having a growth of 8938.4 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 1787.68. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 173,487.4 + 1787.68 = 175,275.08. To conclude, the population of Salem in 2020 as per estimates = 175,275.08.
Demography of Salem:
The city comprises of 80% White, 2% Black, 2% Asian, 1.5% Native American, and others comprise of the remaining numbers.
Salem has a median age of 35 years and a sex ratio of 49.9% females and 50.1% males. English is the most commonly used language in the city of Salem with 75% speakers, while the rest of them speak different languages.
Population Density and Growth of Salem:
Salem has a population density of 1246 persons per square kilometer. Population growth for the city has always been moderate, with the rates not going too high nor too low. Currently, the average annual growth in population touches 1% every year and that is a good number.
It is expected that the population growth rate may rise in the coming years.
Facts About Salem:
- The city was officially incorporated in the year 1920, and it is about to hit a century in 2020. Compared to other cities, it is not that of an old city. Moreover, the city of Salem is known also as the city of peace.
- Almost 4% of the population of the city is War Veterans. They have been living here for a while now and you can see them during the Veterans Day celebrations.
- It is known that the Willamette valley around the area had been in human inhabitance since 10,000 years or more. The Kalapuya people would mostly assemble on the eastern part of the plateau during winters and make camps. They would go fishing and harvesting as some of their top activities.By the 1850s, the Kalapuya were told to go away from here according to treaties and this resulted in the decline of their population as well.
- The first batch of Europeans came here in the year 1812 as they were mostly fur traders and animal trappers. They somehow ended up linking the place and got the idea of settling in here by setting up their camps and small houses around Salem.
- There is a unique event that happens in Salem in December. It is known as Pond Town Christmas and the event comprises of a light display in which Christmas lights keep floating on the Salem Pond, which is located in Knoll Park.