Salt Lake City is placed in the state of Utah. It is the largest city as well as the capital of the state. Due to its closeness to the Great Salk Lake, the city was named after it.
The city comprises of the strong tourism industry and many people flock here for skiing, which is a popular activity in the city. This leads to many people from other parts of the United States coming here for entertainment.
Additionally, it is the industrial banking center of the country and an imperative city in boosting the economy of the United States.
Population of Salt Lake City in 2020:
To get hold of the population of Salt Lake City in 2020, the population for the past 5 years needs to be checked. They are as per the following:
- 2015 –192,672
- 2016 – 193,902
- 2017 – 195,090
- 2018 – 196,350
- 2019 – 197,178.2
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Salt Lake City has grown by 4506.2 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 901.24. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 197,178.2 + 901.24 = 198,079.44. To conclude, the population of Salt Lake City in 2020 as per estimates = 198,079.44.
Demography of Salt Lake City:
74% of the population is White, 6% Asian, 2% Black, 2% Native American, 2% Native Hawaiian, and other races make up the rest.
31.9 years is the median age in Salt Lake City with a sex ratio of 49% females and 51% males. Asians comprise the highest rate of a bachelor’s degree in the city with almost 64%. English is the main language spoken here and a smaller number of people speak French and Spanish too.
Population Density and Growth of Salt Lake City:
Salt Lake City has a population density of 659 persons per square kilometer. It has a decent population growth and over the years it is moderately adding people to its tally of population. Even though the growth is on the slower side, it hasn’t faced a population decline for a long time. It is expected that the population growth is set to improve with more people settling in here in the coming years.
Facts About Salt Lake City:
- As per the year 2014, the city comprises more plastic surgeons than any other city in the United States.
- It is said that there used to live a North Shore Monster with a crocodile body and head of a horse. During the 1840s, workers of a salt-producing company were around the Great Salt Lake and they somehow spotted something which looked like a crocodile with a head of a horse. The monster made such a noise that the workers ran off for cover.Since then no one has heard about the North Shore Monster but people still believe that it is alive.
- There was a time in the year 1983 when massive floods surged the city and the downtown part of State Street turned literally into a River. Water kept on flowing for a few weeks and a temporary bridge had to be made just to allow vehicles and people to cross.
- The Great Salk Lake is very salty that will keep you afloat in the lake. There are no chances of people drowning as the salt content is quite on the higher side with 4.5 billion tons of salt in it.
- The climate over here is semi-arid with hot and sweltering summers with snowy and super cold winters.