Seattle is the largest city placed in the state of Washington, alongside being a seaport as well. The city is a big gateway for trade with Asia, and it is considered to be the 4th largest port within North America in terms of container handling.
Before the Europeans arrived in Seattle, the area was in control of numerous Native Americans and they would do many different activities like, fishing, hunting and making a fire to let them stay warm.
The current area of the city turned into a tech hub in the 80s after Microsoft was established in the region.
Population of Seattle in 2020:
To get hold of the population of Seattle in 2020, the population for the past 5 years needs to be checked. They are as per the following:
- 2015 –684,451
- 2016 –704,352
- 2017 – 720,252
- 2018 – 736,152
- 2019 – 749,714.4
On checking the population from 2015-19; the population of Seattle has added up by 65,263.4 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population increases by 13,052.68. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 749,714.4 + 13,052.68 = 762,767.08. As per the conclusion, the population of Seattle in 2020 as per estimates = 762,767.08.
Demography of Seattle:
69% of the population in Seattle is White, 15% Asian, 7% Black, 0.5% Native American, and other races make up the remainder of the population.
The median age in the city of Seattle is 36 years with a sex ratio of 50% females and 50% males. Apart from English being the most spoken language in Seattle, various Asian languages are spoken due to a large number of Asian populations based in the city.
Population Density and Growth of Seattle:
The city of Seattle has a population density of 2799 persons per square kilometer. Population growth has been incredible for Seattle as more people are settling in here due to better living standards and lots of job opportunities.
It is expected that the population growth will be much higher in a few years from now.
Facts About Seattle:
- The first-ever European to stop by and visit the area and at that time under control of Native American Tribes was a certain gentleman known as Vancouver. Yes, that is the well known British explorer, George Vancouver. He stopped over here in the year 1792 on his trip to chart the Pacific Coast.
- This might come as a shock but the city was first called New York as several members of a group gave it the name as they hailed from the state of New York. Obviously, after a few years, the name was changed to Seattle.
- Seattle was the very first city in the United States to have a female mayor in the form of Bertha Knight Landes. She held her post for two years from 1926-1928, and she was known to be strict and take bold steps against corruption. For starters, she fired the chief of Police.
- The Pike Place Market is a popular attraction and it started only due to onions being overpriced. From the year 1906, the price of onions went way too high and consumers believed the reason for this was the wholesalers.This resulted in the making of a public market where consumers could directly buy from farmers. It started in the year 1907 and as of now, it is the oldest running farmers market in America.
- The city might have a rainy image but as compared to cities like New York and Atlanta, it receives far less annual rainfall.