The city suddenly turned into the hub of the slave trade and also being the capital of the cotton belt.
By the time the 19th century touched in, the establishment of the Florida State University took place and tourism started booming here.
The city of Tallahassee was a little town till World War 2 in which most numbers of people lived quite near to each other and gradually it developed to what it is today.
Population of Tallahassee in 2020:
To find out the population of Tallahassee in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –189,907
- 2016 – 191,607
- 2017 – 193,305
- 2018 – 195,005
- 2019 – 196,667
After looking at the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Tallahassee increased by 6760 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population goes up by 1352. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 196,667 + 1352 = 198,019. To conclude, the population of Tallahassee in 2020 as per estimates = 198,019.
Demography of Tallahassee:
According to the racial composition, 57% are White, 36% Black, 5% Asian, and 1% Native American.
The median age is 27 years with a sex ratio of 52% females and 48% males. English as a language is spoken by about 90% of the population with Spanish being the 2nd most spoken language in Tallahassee.
Population Density and Growth of Tallahassee:
The population density of Tallahassee is 733.9 persons per square kilometer. The city has been experiencing a positive population growth over the years with 1930 being a remarkable year for the city when the population jumped from 10,000 to about 52,000. Since that time the city has been getting double-digit population growth.
Facts About Tallahassee:
- The National High Magnetic Field Laboratory is located here, which is also known as the largest magnet lab in the whole world and comprises equipment that can generate a magnetic field that is much stronger than Earth.
- It is said that the very first Christmas to be celebrated in the country was in 1539 in a place called Desoto Encampment, which is now the city of Tallahassee.
- The city holds a place in the Guinness World Record as it is the place where researchers trapped the strongest magnetic field in a semiconductor. As per Guinness, semiconductors that trap very powerful magnetic fields span a range of applications from electricity to Maglev Trains.
- The weather is mostly pleasant throughout the year with a warm and sunny climate during summers. Also, winters have a charm of its own in the city with the weather not too harsh but rather you can see yourself chilling around with just a T-Shirt and Shorts. Due to its relaxed way of life and calm weather conditions, it is an ideal place to visit any time of the year.
- The city of Tallahassee is well known to be a hub of students as many Universities are located here with the likes of Florida University and also the A&M University. This results in many students staying over here from different parts of the world, ranging from South Asia, Africa, Europe, South-East Asia, and others. It can be safely said that the city is a college town with the number of students living here exceeding the number of more than 90,000.