Trenton as a city is the capital of the state of New Jersey in the United States. By the year of 1719, the city had slightly a different name in the form of Trent-towne. The name got shortened with Trenton being the permanent name of the city.
During the time of the 19th century, the city started growing at a rapid pace, one of the reasons being a large number of European people coming here and settling in and making a living by working in its wire rope mills and pottery.
Population of Trenton in 2020:
To find out the population of Trenton in 2020, the population figures for the previous 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –84,225
- 2016 – 840, 85
- 2017 – 83,943
- 2018 – 83,803
- 2019 – 83,535
While checking the population from 2015-19; it shows that the population of Trenton has gone down by 690 in the past 5 years. As per average, each year the population decreases by 138. Additionally, the population in 2020 is estimated to be 83,535 – 138 = 83,397. As per the conclusion, the population of Trenton in 2020 as per estimates = 83,397.
Demography of Trenton:
Trenton city comprises of 50% Black, 35% White, 1% Asian, 1% Native American, and other races make up the remaining numbers. The city has a median age of 34 years with a sex ratio of 49% females and 51% males. 60% of the people in the city speak English with Spanish being the most popular non-English language.
Population Density and Growth of Trenton:
Trenton has a population density of 4286 persons per square kilometer. During the early years for the city, it had a fairly stable annual population growth but since time went on, the growth began to drop in away. In recent years, the city is mostly facing an annual decline in population and several factors are contributing to this outcome. Due to high crime rates and a better standard of living in other cities, people are moving out of Trenton and that has hurt the city’s figures.
Anyway, it is estimated that there will be a turn of events with positive population growth in the coming years. This is as per estimates of the city of Trenton.
Facts About Trenton:
- The Battle of Trenton was a major conflict between Great Britain and many of the colonies of North America. It happened in the year 1776 in the city with its significance being that the American Troops fought with full power against the British at the Delaware River. The outcome was that the American troops defeated the British and that too with minimum efforts.
- Trenton was primarily the first-ever city where the reading of the declaration of Independence happened. Though many of them know that it was popularly read in front of the independence hall in Philadelphia but it was here where it all started.
- During once upon a time in the era of the 1920s, it was the leaders in manufacturing in the whole world. It used to export a lot of things to be exported to other cities and countries. Hence, it got the tagline of “Trenton makes, the whole world takes”.
- It is one of the most diverse cities in the country with different races living together for a living. There are a large number of Hispanics, Caucasians, and also African Americans.
- For a small amount of time, the city was officially the capital of the United States. This was for November and December in the year 1784.