Wilmington is a city located in the state of Wilmington in the United States. It happens to be the largest city in the state, and it was inhabited by a certain Lenape Tribe during the time of the 17th century.
The British came here by the year 1664, later on leading to several battles between the English and Dutch. Eventually, the British took control of the area and uplifted the town of Wilmington during that time.
In terms of weather conditions, it has a warm temperate climate with hot and humid summers and severely cold winters in the city of Wilmington.
Population of Wilmington in 2020:
To find out the population of Wilmington in 2020, the population figures for the last 5 years need to be checked. They are as follows:
- 2015 –71,948
- 2016 – 72,170
- 2017 – 72,388
- 2018 – 72,608
- 5. 2019 –72,766.2
After looking at the data figures from 2015-19; it can be seen that the population of Wilmington went up by 818.2 in the past 5 years. In terms of average, every year the population goes up by 163.64. Additionally, the population in 2020 is expected to be 72,766.2 + 163.64 = 72,929.84. To conclude, the population of Wilmington in 2020 as per estimates = 72,929.84.
Demography of Wilmington:
The largest age group in the city of Wilmington is between the ages of 25-44 years. On average, there are about 87 males per 100 females. 58% of the population is Black, 35% White, Asian and American Indian are in small numbers as well.
The median age over here is 35 years with the sex ratio at staggering 54% females and 46% males. English is the main language that is spoken with Spanish being the 2nd most spoken language in Wilmington.
Population Density and Growth of Wilmington:
The population density of the city is 2529 persons per square kilometer. During its past years, the population growth was quite healthy and the city grew at a rapid pace. By 1850, around 14,000 people lived in Wilmington and in a quick 20 years the population doubled up.
Recent estimates prove that the city has had a positive population growth in a small number, and it is expected this will continue for a few more years until the city gets a higher population growth.
Facts About Wilmington:
- The current area of the city was colonized by people from Sweden in 1638. The Dutch came in and took control of the area from the Swedish and gave the name of the city as Altena. Later on, the British colonized the area and the name turned into Wilmington.
- There are several attractions that any tourist can try checking out. Some of the popular ones are Arden Craft Shop Museum, Christina Park and also Brandywine Shopping Center for some fun shopping in the city.
- The city was producing more iron ships by 1868 as compared to the other parts of the country. Also, it was rated first as per the production of gun powder and second in terms of leather.
- Due to its diverse population, the city celebrates and enjoys a long list of festivals of different cultures. The most famous is the Italian Festival, which comprises carnival rides, music; food during June and the whole city seem to be in a party mood.
- Wilmington as a city is comparatively laid back in comparison to cities like New York and LA. People are more relaxed over here and are quite friendly with their way of speaking and behavior.